Recess supervision is provided by responsible school personnel. For every child’s safety and the school’s liability, parents may not accompany students to recess. Recess will be held outdoors whenever possible. Precipitation, sunshine, cloud cover, wind chill, temperature, etc. are all considered when a decision is made for indoor recess. In general, recess will be held indoors when it is raining, or the temperature/wind chill falls below 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Conversely, if 90 degrees Fahrenheit or higher heat index (relative humidity and temperature) is reached, the school will take special precautions for any outdoor activity and teachers will use extreme caution while monitoring students at recess. In addition, students will be provided ample amounts of water before and during recess; Recesses will be shortened or may be moved indoors at the discretion of the principal or designee; Children will be watched/monitored carefully for necessary action. These temperatures are based on recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. ***Includes chart and explanation of chart.
PLAYGROUND RULES / CONSEQUENCES
- All students will go out to recess unless they have a note from home. Extended periods of time (more than three days) require a physician’s excuse.
- Students should not use any electronic devices during recess—indoor or outdoor.
- Students should take necessary coats and playground equipment with them.
- Students should enter and leave the building in a quiet and orderly manner.
- Students are responsible for the return of all equipment that they took out to recess.
- Students should play in the designated playground areas at each respective building and away from the actual building.
- Students should use the swings as they were designed. Jumping from, standing on, or twisting the chains is not appropriate.
- Students should slide down the slide one at a time and feet first.
- Students should not participate in the following activities: wrestling, tripping, fighting (real or pretend), and tackle football.
- Students are expected to line up immediately when the signal is given for the end of recess.
**Additional rules may be added dependent upon the needs of each individual elementary school, grade level, or classroom.
Procedures for the playground and consequences for when they are not followed are created at the building level and per the principal/designee’s discretion.